Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Last year, a few months after quitting medical school, I had this voracious appetite to do get back into art. I first began drawing when I was 8 and studied art till I was 18. I had not drawn a portrait since 2005. My wife, Anabelle, bought me my first sculpting tools last year from the Alpine Arts Foundry. She found out that they do a public studio session every Tuesday from 3:30 - 6:30, a steal at just $10 per session. Under the watchful eye of some incredible local sculptors I have been able to advance much faster than otherwise.

When I first walked into that studio it felt like I had come home. My gift and fascination for art were re-awoken, having lied dormant for so many years and buried under piles of rational thought and scientific inquiry.  It was very exciting to feel parts of my brain and soul re-engaged in the recreation of the infinitely complex human form.

I am currently working on completing my first male model which is only my second sculpture. I started this pose Winter 2011 and must have put in around 100 hours so far. Unfortunately a heavy work schedule at the beginning of 2012 deprived me of time and creative energy to sculpt. Inspired by talking with a young, local successful painter recently and my work schedule calming down, I picked up the tools again and picked up where I left off. There is still a lot of work to do on the arms and feet but I am pleased so far:







Here is my first rudimentary attempt at a female model from fall 2011: 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment